Nestled deep in the Sri Lankan mountains lies a quick and easy hike to an epic viewpoint. This viewpoint is known as Little Adams Peak! This hike is undeniably a must visit location if you’re traveling Sri Lanka. I’ve prepared an in depth guide that covers all you need to know about the Little Adams Peak hike in Ella, Sri Lanka.
Table of Contents:
- Where is Little Adams Peak Located?
- How to Get to Little Adams Peak
- Opening Hours
- Hiking to Little Adams Peak
- What To Expect
- Best Time To Visit
- How High is Little Adams Peak?
- Tips & Suggestions
- Nearby Sights & Tourist Spots
- Sri Lanka Packing List
Where is Little Adams Peak Located?
Little Adams Peak is located very close to the epic mountain town of Ella in Sri Lanka. It’s one of the easiest hike to access from Ella and somehow is still relatively less traveled. This mountainous area of Sri Lanka is absolutely breathtaking and is definitely worth a visit.
Best Hostels in Ella
How to Get to Little Adams Peak
Accessing the trailhead of Little Adams Peak is pretty straight forward if you’re already in Ella. If you go here for sunrise it can be more difficult as it will be pitch black. From Ella, it’s a quick 6-min (1.8km/1-mile) drive to the trailhead of Little Adam’s Peak. My suggestion is to rent a scooter while in the mountains of Sri Lanka but if you’re not confident you can easily hire a tuk-tuk or you could even walk here in under 30-minutes.
Head west down the B113 Highway and you will see various signs for the Flying Ravana Mega Zipline & 98 Acres Resort. If you’re coming here for sunrise, which I recommend you do, you have to park near the highway and walk the rest. When I visited I did not have to pay for parking or a guide.
What Time Does Little Adams Peak Open?
The main gate opens at 6am but you can start the Little Adams Peak hike at any time of day or night. Just park your scooter and head in, make sure you bring some sort of flashlight if you come here before sunrise as there is no lights on the trail.
How Long Does It Take to Hike Little Adams Peak?
The Little Adams Peak hike takes around 30-minutes (1.6km / 1-mile) to reach the top and main viewpoint. However, I would suggest that from here you continue down the trail for another 30-minutes and start to descend to the lower peaks. You get more unobstructed views of the surrounding mountains and the farther you go the less people that will be around. I hiked Little Adams peak for sunrise and there were a few people out there. But down at the lower peak I was the only person there.
To get to the main viewpoint from the parking lot you’ll have to ascend up a fair amount of stairs, so get ready for that! If you do choose to descend lower, be mindful that to get from the lowest peak back to the main viewpoint will take around 30-min and is relatively steep. If you’re used to hiking it’s not a problem, the trail is in good condition.
What to Expect at Little Adams Peak Sri Lanka
Hiking Little Adam’s Peak Sri Lanka is a rewarding experience in Ella, and was one of my highlights. The trail is in good shape and is easy to follow. I wouldn’t consider it an easy hike but it’s not very difficult either. You can expect some epic views of the beautiful Sri Lankan mountains. There are plenty of tea plantations and other peaks you can see. The bottom peak is undoubtedly the best with a 360 degree view!
Best Time to Visit Little Adams Peak
The best time to visit Little Adams Peak Ella is in the dry season between January and March. This is to ensure the best visibility and that you don’t get rained out! Regardless of the time of year, the best time of day to visit is sunrise if you want to avoid the crowds and have the best views. Sunset is a good option also depending on the time of year. Check the weather forecast here.
Is Little Adams Peak Worth It?
The Little Adams Peak hike is absolutely worth it! Given it’s close proximity to Ella I would say it’s a must-do if you’re in the area. You can go from your hotel on the main street of Ella and back in 2-hours easily and still have plenty of time to do other activities.
How High is Little Adam’s Peak?
The elevation of Little Adams Peak is 1141 meters (3743-ft) above sea level. The Little Adams Peak hike has an elevation gain of 78 meters (256-ft) but if you go to the bottom peak you’ll have an additional descent and re-ascent of the same amount. The Little Adam’s Peak distance is only 1.6km (1-mile) in each direction.
Little Adams Peak Zipline
There is also a zipline nearby if you want some adrenaline! It opens at 6am and costs 2500 LKR ($7 USD).
Tips & Suggestions
- Go Early: If you want solitude and less tourists, definitely go early and you won’t regret it! It’s always a far more enjoyable experience when you’re not in a crowd of people.
- Pack Accordingly: Even in the dry season Sri Lanka’s weather is very unpredictable, especially at higher elevation in the mountains. It can and will quickly change from clear skies to pouring rain so definitely pack a rain jacket and a change of clothes.
- Rent a motorbike: The absolute best way to travel around Sri Lanka is by motorbike. Doing so allows you to take your time and visit many more sights than you would be able to on a tour. Renting a motorbike in Sri Lanka costs around 3000 LKR ($9 USD) per day so it’s quite affordable.
- Bring food: I personally always have a few snacks on hand. There has been too many times where I get lost or food is not readily available. So pack some nuts or other hearty snacks just in case!
- Use Reusable Bottles: Using a reusable water bottle is great because a lot of these countries are struggling to deal with the waste of travelers.
- Ask for assistance: The Sri Lankan locals are some of the nicest people I’ve ever met. If you need help they speak good English and will gladly assist.
- Get a sim card: The value of having online maps and an internet connection is priceless. Sim cards are especially cheap in Sri Lanka and I’d recommend Dialog as the provider.
- Use Maps.Me: This is an offline maps app for iPhone/Android that has saved me on countless occasions. If there’s no cell service on your adventures you’ll still always have access to these maps and pins.
- Get Travel Insurance: You never know when something will happen during a trip. It could be flight delays/cancelations, food poisoning, or an injury. Travel insurance is very affordable and has saved me a more times than I’m proud of.
Nearby Sights & Tourist Spots
Little Adams Peak is certainly a must-add to any Sri Lanka itinerary and departs from the town of Ella. Ella was the highlight of our Sri Lanka travel and there are plenty of other sites in the area. If you’re into waterfalls I’d suggest visiting Dunhinda Falls and also Diyaluma Falls.
One of the main tourist attractions is Ella is the Nine Arch Bridge, another epic location that’s very close to Ella and can be visited in a couple of hours. If you’re looking to hike some more I’d suggest visiting Ella Rock.
Sri Lanka Packing List
- Osprey Porter 46 Travel Backpack
- Mountain Hardwear Stretch Ozonic Rain Jacket
- Universal Travel Adapter
- Portable Luggage Scale
- Salomon X Ultra Hiking Boots
- Premium Packing Cubes
Final Thoughts on Little Adam’s Peak Sri Lanka
I hope you enjoyed this article on Little Adam’s Peak Sri Lanka. We had a great time during our visit and the views did not disappoint. Check out my latest posts here.
If you have any questions about Sri Lanka feel free to drop me a comment below and I’d be happy to help. If you found value in this post please share it!